Thursday, March 22, 2012

Foodster

Some people LOVE food. They watch the Food Network passionately, turn giddy at the prospect of going to the grocery store, and spend hours happily and furiously cooking away in the kitchen, ending up with some magnificent and delicious dish. The joy of a complicated culinary achievement, especially one of their own creation, is one of their greatest pleasures in life.

I am not one of these people. To me, food is a necessity rather than a pleasure. Of course there are foods I like, and I get cravings, but in general I could live happily on fruit and cold cereal. Sometimes when my husband and I were dating, I would cook for him, which could be nice if I didn't set it on fire. But I don't get much out of purchasing or preparing or eating incredibly well-prepared food. In fact, I DID live happily on fruit and cold cereal, with the occasional pop-tart thrown in, for all 4 years of college. Then I married my husband.

My husband IS one of these people. His favorite time of day is when "America's Test Kitchen" is on and he can watch it. He thrills at the prospect of grocery shopping, especially once he reaches the fine cheeses section. He spends hours in the kitchen, and emerges with incredible and fantastic dishes that even I confess are really astoundingly yummy.

I am grateful for this arrangement. Because the kitchen has never drawn me, most of my attempts at cooking end up disastrous. I am one of few people you may meet who has set spaghetti on fire. I was unsettled as our marriage neared, because I knew that I could not cook a delicious meal for my husband 9 times out of 10 if my life (or marriage) depended on it. What an embarrassment of a Mormon wife I would be!!! But it has worked out great - he would rather be the one cooking anyway, and I get to branch out of my breakfast-food-diet. I think he likes it too, because I never ask to be taken to fancy restaurants. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the romantic atmosphere of sharing an exquisite 3-course meal with the love of my life. But I'd prefer a date to Taco Bell or Chipotle over fancy food any day.

3 comments:

  1. I would love to marry a man who likes to cook. I can cook, I just don't enjoy it like other people do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, this is great Chelsea! Brooke and I are just about the exact same way! Made me laugh reading this :) - Roger

    ReplyDelete
  3. spaghetti on fire? I want to hear more on that...

    ReplyDelete